Brisk Me Away

6.19.2014

Namesake

Well, I wanted to write out why we chose the name we did for our daughter. Names are tough! I am just not the type to have names picked out for my kids since I was a kid myself or since I was in high school or since my husband and I first met...I'm not sure why. Kids were always a far off thought for me. Naming them before I knew they were coming just didn't click! Anyway, I think it's neat when people do feel that way, and to be honest, I  am jealous of how easy it is for them!
I always get a little indecisive when it comes to big decisions, too, and feel kind of wishy-washy about it all. That's how I felt about planning our wedding. I had big ideas prior to getting engaged, but once I actually said "yes!", all those plans just didn't seem to matter anymore. Colors, flowers, guests...who cares! I am getting MARRIED! Maybe I feel the same way about names. Trendy, cute, in the family...who cares! I am having a BABY!
I also think the underlying reason is that I shy away from names because they really ARE a big deal. It's a lot of responsibility! I have had so many students in my teaching career that many names are just off my list, because I know a child with a particular name (both well behaved and not!). I have a particular image that comes to mind with SO many names. I love family names, because I love the idea of honoring someone that has a link to family heritage. BUT, there are mostly odd ones of those in our family tree!:)

So, here are the reasons for our Annie Katherine's name:
1. When I think of the name Annie, I think about a nice, friendly girl. 
2. My mom is Vivian Ann and Steven's grandmother is Beverly Ann, so Annie is kind of a take on Ann to honor them both. My grandmother always called my mom "miss Ann", and that has a sweet memory attached to it for all of us.
3. I don't personally know any Annies. At least not ones that are in my everyday life.
4. It is easy to spell!! (Although I have been asked several times how to spell it...evidently some people shorten Anasasia to Ani or something like that. Boo!). As a teacher I always pity kids with difficult or weird names to spell. They will deal with that their whole life!
5. I wanted a name that went with Henry. A classic name. When we were first looking at names, I didn't have a name book handy, but I did use my phone and went back to the social security records as far as they would go, and Henry was around # 10 for boy names and Annie (not Ann) was around # 10 for girls in about the year
1890. I took it as a sign!:)
6. As for Katherine, my first name is Katherine. I was named after a favorite Aunt-Helen Katherine-on the Walker side. This name also just seemed fitting!

Annie seems to suit our girl quite well. We love you, little one! 







2 comments:

Lindsay J said...

I love her name! It has meaning and fits her! Sweet girl.

Andy said...

she is just lovely