Brisk Me Away

7.14.2013

Feb/Mar 2013

Well, I have had these uploaded for quite a while and was going to attempt to go back and update all the months of blogging I've missed, but I now realize that just isn't feasible, so I am going to try to start fresh with July and go from there, but I figured since I had all these pretty much done, I might as well post them. It is funny how much Henry has changed in just 4 months, so this has been a reminder of that for me! I need to keep blogging or I just might forget it all!
I was in an accident on Feb 12 coming home from a school staff mtg. It was raining and dark and neither I nor the other driver knew exactly what happened, but the police report ruled it as my fault. It was really scary, and I was just thankful I was ok and that Henry was not with me, so I was willing to let it go.

I went to the hospital to be checked out and, thankfully, was just badly bruised. I was SOOO sore afterward. It was a rough few weeks of recovery, but I know it could have been so much worse. The air bags deployed and evidently the Toyota symbol "branded" my arm. Even now (July) I have a little scaring from it. Not a Toyota symbol, but enough to remind me of the accident which in turn reminds me to be careful when I drive and to watch out for other drivers, too. Luckily, the other driver was also ok..


My car was totaled and, after test driving several other models, I replaced my 2002 Toyota Rav4 with a 2009 Rav4. Why change a good thing?:) I am loving it and made the right decision (for now anyway).

We got to spend quite a bit of time outside during February-it was very mild weather. Henry loved climbing on the corn hole boards.

We got some extra time with Aunt Heather and cousin Layna following his birthday party wknd. (Mar 2).
More outside time at the park. Henry loves to swing.

He started eating bananas like this (finally)!

Having fun with Dada and his Easter basket one Saturday morning while letting me sleep in!

"SO BIG" in his new John Deere toy from Grandpa.
Continuing to love outside!

Look at that face! So fun!

We made a visit to my folks-Henry LOVES the porch swing with my mom. He sat on the edge like this for forever!

Grandpa and Peggy also came to visit one wknd. It's tradition that Grandpa has introduced each of the other three grandkids to ice cream after their first birthdays, so this was Henry's intro. Grandpa actually did give him the first bite, then Dada took over. He made quite a few disgusted faces at first, but finally warmed up to it. :) Attah boy!

On the same visit, Steven and his dad filled in our pond out back. Our fish had finally all died, and we had replaced the filter and dealt with upkeep on it ever since we've lived in this house, and Steven was tired of it (he's the one who cleans it). While I miss the sound of the trickling water, it is nice to to have the extra maintenance and also not to have to worry about Henry as much back there.
I attempted several pictures of Henry in his Easter outfit. He actually wore this the wknd before Easter in warm Alabama, because it was too cold for him to wear it in Iowa where we were over the actual Easter holiday! We had to have two Easter outfits this year, which was fine with me!:)




Henry loves sharing-he kept trying to give me his blocks over and over.






This one ended up being my favorite.
I also started being able to give Henry string/stick cheese to eat on his own.
Grandpa and Peggy sent Henry an Easter gift-another pair of comfy, cute Hanna Andersson PJ's!

Sweet boy

I'm always a sucker for a profile shot:)

We flew to Iowa over Easter to be with Steven's grandparents. We normally travel with his sister/mom, but they were not going til the summer and Steven needed to spread out the time he was taking off from work, so we decided to go it alone. Here are visiting his grandma Hough in the nursing home.

We got to see the other cousin Kinsleigh while we were there. She and Henry are only a week apart. Aunt Jeanette put the two of them on grandma Hough's walker and drove them all over that place!!
It was grandma Hough's birthday, so we gave her the scarf she is wearing. This is us saying goodbye before driving back to see the DeWitt side again.

Luckily, all the family on the DeWitt side was in for Easter wknd, so we got to see all the cousins (minus the three KY cousins, of course)! From left to right: Jack, Cayden, Cammie, Maddie, Henry, Riley, and Carter.



Great Aunt Betty had moved from the farm to an assisted living facility in town since last time we were there, so we went to visit her. She is the sweetest lady, and I always enjoy visiting with her. I was so glad she got to see Henry again! The last time we were in Iowa Henry was turning 5 months old.

On Easter morning, there was a special delivery for Henry!! Thanks, Grandpa and Grandpa! Henry got some music toys and bath toys in his Sponge Bob basket. I love the bed head you can see in this pic!:) This was his second Easter outfit. I bought the Polo shirt/vest at a consignment store when Henry was just itty bitty, so I was so glad it worked perfectly for this!

Back to February...We had had another day of snow in January, but I didn't get the camera to snap a pic of it! Here is Henry reaching up for the short lived flakes.

Grandma visited one wknd and spent the night. His shirt says "I love Grandma" on it.:) Henry is playing with Steven's hat-the boy LOVES grandma AND hats!!



Henry also loves to play in the chairs in the sun room. It makes him so happy, and he gets rather wild in them!


This is another day of him in the chair-look at that smile and that drool!!! Oh, and those dimples!!



Right after my accident in February, we met my parents in Orange Beach for a long weekend. They had always talked about getting a condo for a month at the beach once they retired, and after several years of talking about it, I was so proud of them for actually doing it!! It had been really nice weather, but when we got there it turned quite chilly-of course! We still had lots of fun playing in the sand and taking walks on the beach.



Henry loving on his papa.

Here's Henry all decked out in his beach garb. It was super bright with the sun reflecting on the sand, so the sunglasses came in handy for sure.

Our family!
We got to take advantage of the indoor heated pool and hot tub, too! 

Cuddled up after a swim. I love it when he does this:)     
We spend Valentine's Day at the beach with my folks-Henry is wearing his Valentine's day outfit for dinner out with my folks that evening. Steven and I got lots of opportunity to go out after Henry went to bed throughout the weekend and even got in a movie. It was great!
We gave Henry some construction paper and "baby" crayons for Valentine's day.
Henry had lots of fun with my mom-she is very creative with toys for him. They played in all the kitchen cabinets, and he had lots of fun making this bowl into a hat.
The mornings are just prime time for babies, aren't they? Henry is so happy in the morning, and he loved being able to crawl out onto the porch to get some "safe" outside time!
Back at home, we got this train toy from my friend Abby. He was a daredevil teetering on the edge of the seat, then flinging himself forward off of it.
Henry wasn't walking in Feb/Mar, but he was getting close. He would work hard to raise himself up, up, up...

Finally get onto two feet, then throw himself forward. I love the face as he did it!:)

He also went through a phase of laying on his back and kicking his feet, then grabbing them like this.

Grandma came to the rescue on day when Henry was sick and kept him so I could still go to work. Thank you grandma!!

Henry loves him some pouches-I love this face of concentration here.

On Henry's actual birthday, we took him to Chick-fil-A, then opened gifts at home from us, plus all the cards that had come in.

An attempt at a family shot

My parents sent Henry a musical card that he loved. At this stage, he was saying "quack" for duck all the time, so this quacking duck card was perfect! He also got one from the Bush family, and I just have to say that a music card is perfect for a one year old. He had so much fun with them!
The boy loves hats....he thinks they are so funny!

This is just one of many times Henry is into something he shouldn't be...he is certainly an explorer!