Brisk Me Away

9.07.2012

Week of 9/2... A Different Kind of Fun.

We had a good start to the week with normal school and work activities....we had planned our beach trip over Labor day, but with Hurricane Issac, we weren't sure if it'd happen. Luckily, it did not affect Destin, so "strike one" did not stop us from going! On Wednesday, I had some weird dizziness and light headedness, so I went in to the doc to get checked out since I had had similar sensations the week prior that went away. They did a bunch of tests (including a pregnancy one which came back negative...phew! I can't imagine that happening again anytime soon!) and finally settled on it being vertigo. Weird! I have gotten much better since then, so I am hoping that is all it was. Our beach trip had a second strike against it at this point, but we kept intending to go! Henry got a runny nose the week before, and on Thursday he woke up with his first fever of 101.3, so I had to take the day off (the first of many I am sure). I called the doc and they wanted to see him since his fever spiked after he had been stuffy for an entire week to rule out an ear infection or throat issues. He got all checked out and they said it was just a cold. Poor guy. He was pitiful, but a sweet lil trooper. Strike three...what kind of parents take their sick kid to the beach? Well, I guess these parents do. We loaded up Friday and Henry did great on the trip. No more fever, but he slept a lot and I think the time in the car helped him get all rested up! We had a super trip. We had been skeptical that the beach would be worth it with a little one around due to all the work that comes with having a baby, but it was definitely fun. Just a different kind of fun:) We still got plenty of ocean time, pool time, nap time, and eating out time. Steven even got in some golf time:) It was nice to just get away as a little family of three. Oh, can I just say that babies get LOTS of attention at the ocean/pool? We just kept getting comments about how cute Henry was....and I'd have to agree!:) Anyway, see pictures below for the full story!
One day after school Maggie snuggled right up to Henry, and of course, he took advantage of that! He just grabs her and was talking to her. She's such a good sport. This picture is pretty representative of them: him grabbing and her cringing:)



This one is Henry "yelling" and Maggie doing her best to ignore it.

We are still doing rice cereal once a day and have added oatmeal...he's liking his yummy bib an awful lot here!

Henry is sitting up great now, but I still put the boppy behind him for my own comfort since every so often he will take a fall back. He was so proud of himself here:)

He usually has a toy in each hand now and I will pile them all in front of him, but when I turn away and turn back around, he has usually somehow managed to get them all out of reach and they are behind him or beside him. He is a busy boy:)

And when you can't get to your toys, and you've fallen over, there's always your feet to provide entertainment!

Here you can see where he WAS sitting (boppy behind him, toys in front of him), but I looked around and he is no longer even on the blanket. He is on my dirty carpet doing pushups! Checkout that form!

I put him back on the blanket...although I don't think he stayed there long!

He is raising up all the time now. Either that or he has his head down taking a little break. It's touch being a baby!

We arrived at Sandestin on Friday afternoon and got to show Henry the ocean right away! He seemed to really like it, although the next day he was a little more unsure as we got him in it. Steven had him out there and Henry kind of cuddled in and we weren't sure if he was nervous or scared, but evidently he was sleepy because he fell asleep in Steven's arms while they were literally dodging waves! It was so sweet.


He approves!!

The wind from the ocean seemed to make him frisky!

Beach baby....we were paranoid the whole time about him getting too much sun, so he wore his goofy hat a lot:)

This is awesome guys!



Smiley boy!

Checking out the waves from a distance:)

Beach bums!

Henry was a little timid about the ocean, but loved the pool. He had a float he played in a lot, and was a happy guys. Another time I was holding him and he all of the sudden got really still and...

Fell asleep! Nice for me...I got to take advantage of being outside while he  napped!

Steven enjoyed some cuddle time with Henry in the shade while I took advantage of some sun! I guess he figured that if his crazy parents weren't going to keep him on a schedule, he would just do it himself! Really I think the water and sun just took it out of him.

Sweet baby

"Learnin' to fly....but I ain't got wings"

We attempted a family beach photo....

Not professional, but not bad. There were quite a few other ones that were better of Henry, but my hair was CRAZY! I had no idea the ocean wind would whip it around like that. Note to self for next time!

The boys

I love these guys:)


So Henry must really be looking big because everywhere we went we got asked if we needed a high chair for him. We refused and held him the whole time (I was trying to avoid some germs since I didn't bring a cover or anything) until the last morning when we went to breakfast at Another Broken Egg Cafe. We put him in it and it was so funny to see him sitting up like a big boy at the table....he kept his hands like this for a long time. I guess he wasn't sure what to think of it:) The table next to us gave him LOTS of attention.

Look, Dad!!

There's a really neat trail near where we stay, so we took that walk with Henry, too. You can see the cool trees and bridges behind us.

Happy boy.

There are quite a few tree houses on the trail, and Steven got up in one with Hank.

Our last family photo of the trip....sad to say goodbye:( We will be back!! We can handle this different kind of fun!